Re: rbd tracing efforts using zipkin

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:22 AM, Chamarthy, Mahati
<mahati.chamarthy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> +ceph-devel

The zipkin stuff is pretty much abandoned after it was merged into the
codebase, so I don't know of any efforts to directly improve it. There
are some discussions in this mailing list about integrating w/
OpenTracing as well, but I'm semi-out-of-the-loop on it right now.
Adding optional sampling to the trace instantiation within librbd
makes sense to me.

> A better question is perhaps, what is the best way to make a performance comparison on rbd I/O path before/after a change to librbd/librados code?

fio benchmarks and perhaps sar (to watch CPU utilization)?

> Thanks,
> Mahati
>
> --

Jason