Re: new (> 4.16) kernel cephfs clients behaviour on < mimic

> On Apr 17, 2018, at 21:46, Luis Henriques <lhenriques@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I see the following commit is queued for the kernel cephfs client:
>
> commit e2311baa73a883eb8501c895cc817d3c96c3b896
> Author: Yan, Zheng <zyan@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date:   Sun Apr 8 09:54:39 2018 +0800
>
>    ceph: check if mds create snaprealm when setting quota
>
>    If mds does not, return -EOPNOTSUPP.
>
> [ This is related with http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/23491 ]
>
> However, I'm not sure it is doing the right thing (although I confess
> I'm not sure either what the right thing would be...)
>
> This commit is doing 2 things:
>
> 1) it returns an error if a user tries to set quotas and the MDS doesn't
>   support it (using the new snaprealm method)
>
> 2) it forbids reading the ceph.quota.* xattrs, even if they're set
>
> Regarding 1), it's a change in behaviour from previous kernels -- older
> kernels allow these attributes to be set (but not read!), even if they
> don't really support quotas.  Also, the error that is returned
> (-EOPNOTSUPP) is a bit misleading as the xattr is actually set in the
> directory.

any better error code?

> Regarding 2), it's a bit artificial to forbid the user to get these
> attributes as we do actually have them available.

If attributes have no effect, why can’t we treat them as nonexistence.

> I understand the rational behind this patch, but since quotas won't be
> enforced anyway in this scenario, is there really any value added with
> this patch?
>
> I would suggest 2 alternatives:
>
> 1. check cluster version and return the error in setxattr if version <
>   Mimic (but maybe still allow reading the xattrs?)

The problem is we run out of feature bits. No straight way to do the check

> 2. do nothing -- if we're using a cluster that does not support quotas
>   anyway, maybe there's no point in having these different behaviours
>   for old and new clients.

This is confusing. we reclaim that  > 4.16 kernel supports quota. I don’t think it’s a good that
user successfully set quota on > 4.16 kernel, but find that quota has no effect.

4.16 kernel is the first one that support quota, does behavior change really matter?

Regards
Yan, Zheng