Re: [sepia] Transition to Python 3

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:08 PM, Nathan Cutler <ncutler@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Background: Python 2 will be deprecated in 2020. Python 3 has been available
> in all major Linux distros for years.
>
> Of course, Python 2 is *also* available in all major Linux distros, but this
> is not going to be true for much longer. It will be deprecated and
> eventually removed.
>
> Migration, then, is going to happen - it's just a question of "when".
>
> Given that Python 3 is available now, and will be supported for many years,
> as opposed to Python 2 which will be going away and will not be supported,
> the need to migrate our Python code to Python 3 will only become more
> urgent, not less.
>
> Ceph contains the following Python code (please correct me if this list is
> not complete):
>
> Python bindings (already migrated, i.e. Python 3 bindings are available)
> MGR modules (migration in progress; no testing with Python 3, though)
> ceph-volume (migration status: ?)
> ceph-detect-init (migration status: ?)
> ceph-disk (migration status: ?, deprecated, will be removed in Nautilus)
> Python scripts needed for "make check" (migration in progress)
> Python scripts needed for QA/teuthology (migration status: ?)
> Other Python scripts (not packaged)

+ src/pybind/ceph_volume_client.py

Other projects use ceph_volume_client  [1] and so simply porting to
python3 is not trivial, right? As a Python casual: what's the
suggested thing to do here?

[1] https://github.com/kubernetes-incubator/external-storage/blob/master/ceph/cephfs/cephfs_provisioner/cephfs_provisioner.py#L27

--
Patrick Donnelly