Re: Transition to Python 3

On 17-04-2018 07:36, Volker Theile wrote:
Hello Nathan,

Am 17.04.2018 um 08:08 schrieb Nathan Cutler:
Background: Python 2 will be deprecated in 2020. Python 3 has been
available in all major Linux distros for years.

Of course, Python 2 is *also* available in all major Linux distros,
but this is not going to be true for much longer. It will be
deprecated and eventually removed.

Migration, then, is going to happen - it's just a question of "when".

Given that Python 3 is available now, and will be supported for many
years, as opposed to Python 2 which will be going away and will not be
supported, the need to migrate our Python code to Python 3 will only
become more urgent, not less.

Ceph contains the following Python code (please correct me if this
list is not complete):

Python bindings (already migrated, i.e. Python 3 bindings are available)
MGR modules (migration in progress; no testing with Python 3, though)

Dashboard is ready for Python 3 and it is tested for Python 2 and 3.

Just a little addendum. The dashboard is only tested in Python 3 in our local setups, not in Teuthology (sepia lab).

ceph-volume (migration status: ?)
ceph-detect-init (migration status: ?)
ceph-disk (migration status: ?, deprecated, will be removed in Nautilus)
Python scripts needed for "make check" (migration in progress)
Python scripts needed for QA/teuthology (migration status: ?)
Other Python scripts (not packaged)

Ideally this email would spark a discussion on how to perform the
transition. In my imagination, the transition could go like this:

Mimic - after a "best effort" to migrate, some Python code still runs
on Python 2, but Shaman has a Python 3 build flavor and teuthology is
capable of testing in Python 3-only environment.

Nautilus - all remaining packaged Python code has been migrated and
explicitly runs (and is tested) on Python 3. Python 2 versions of our
code do not need to be provided or packaged, because all target
platforms support Python 3. There might still be some Python 2 scripts
in the git repo, but these are either special cases or for developer
use only, and are not packaged.

Nathan

Volker

--