Re: ceph-disk vs ceph-volume

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 3:26 PM, Vasu Kulkarni <vakulkar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes I have filed a tracker for the issue: http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/23645
>
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 9:57 AM, Aleksey Gutikov
> <aleksey.gutikov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Sata hdds, this happen on running server, without reboot.
>> Due to hardware problem, vibration, human factor, anything, sata host loose
>> connection with drive and /dev/sda disappears. Than operator unplug/plug it
>> and without lvm it can appear with same node /dev/sda and with different
>> one, it does not matrer - osd will be started.
>> But in case of lvm /dev/dm-0 holds lvm objects and sda node, so disk got
>> next letter (/dev/sdt for example), but lvm can't create lv with same uid,
>> so lsblk does not see logical volume on this disk

This is still not very clear to me. You mention a plug/unplug of disks
that make the device path change, but
then that "lvm can't create lv with same uid". So this is before the
OSD is running? or where exactly in the process is this?

In any case, you could just refresh LVM's cache by running: vgscan

The docs explains this better:

> LVM runs the vgscan command automatically at system startup and at other times during LVM operation, such as when you execute a vgcreate command or when LVM detects an inconsistency. You may need to run the vgscan > command manually when you change your hardware configuration, causing new devices to be visible to the system that were not present at system bootup.
> This may be necessary, for example, when you add new disks to the > system on a SAN or hotplug a new disk that has been labeled as a physical volume.

If you run that, do you have issues still?

If the problem goes away with vgscan, we could just add it to the unit
that activates/starts the OSD.