Re: ceph-disk vs ceph-volume

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 10:19 AM, Aleksei Gutikov
<aleksey.gutikov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Previously with ceph-disk when hdd flaps there was udev rule starting
> "ceph-disk trigger" that was checking xfs partition with osd metadata and
> staring osd if metadata exists.

Do you mean here that the physical device changed its name? e.g.
/dev/sda is now /dev/sdc?

ceph-volume can detect such situations upon reboot and the activation
will work normally (we've tested this)

> Now with ceph-volume device mapper device (/dev/dm-8 for example) hold the
> whole tree of kernel objects including lvm lv, vg and pv and also block
> device itself so same disk appears with different letter and without lvm
> data (lsblk does not see lv on disk with different letter).
>
> And I have to perform a list of manual actions to start osd:
>
> - remove device mapper device:
>     sudo dmsetup remove /dev/dm-8
>
> - disable new block device and rescan scsi to make lvm volume appear:
>     echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/block/sdb/device/delete
>     echo "- - -" | sudo tee /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan
>
> - maybe umount osd direcroty (I'm not sure if it is required):
>     sudo umount /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-12
>
> - list osd disks to get lv name (osd fsid):
>     sudo ceph-volume lvm list
>
> - And finally start osd:
>     sudo ceph-volume lvm trigger 12-92b66a98-1c35-40a8-bf5b-ac123c366166
>

> Is that expected behavior or a bug or I'm missing something?

I am not sure I follow how you got into this problem. Was this after a
reboot? or was the system online and the drive changed on the fly?