Re: Securing Ceph with TLS

On Wed, 2018-03-07 at 11:15 +0000, John Spray wrote:

> I'm curious about the motivation for TLS in particular, as opposed to
> using a stream cipher (plain AES-256 or similar) based on the
> existing cephx shared secrets and authorization tickets.  Because the
> endpoints are already authorized, it seems like it should be possible
> to avoid introducing an additional set of certificates.

While the implementation described appears to use certified public keys
as the basis for authentication over TLS, pre-shared key cipher-suites
are also available; see, for example, RFC 5489:

 "ECDHE_PSK Cipher Suites for Transport Layer Security (TLS)"
 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5489

I believe that cephx secret keys, or some derivative of them, could be
sensibly used with such a scheme?

It will likely be easier to convince others that it is safe to rely on
an over-the-wire encryption mechanism if it is based on an existing
peer-reviewed scheme.

Kind regards,
David
--
David McBride <dwm37@xxxxxxxxx>
Computing Officer, University of Cambridge