Re: Read Only status HTTP API Manager Module

Hi Wido,

On 02/28/2018 10:17 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:

> Simplicity and easiness to set up. As these systems run on closed
> networks setting up auth and sharing credentials is sometimes not
> really required in those situations.

Something we had in openATTIC that might make sense to port to the
Dashboard v2 is the option to create an API key for a given user.

This way, you don't need to provide a username/password, but just the key:

http://openattic.readthedocs.io/en/latest/developer_docs/setup_howto.html#how-to-get-the-authentication-token-for-your-own-user

> Other situations are where people have a ACL/Firewall on the ports
> or they have a reverse proxy in between which either checks on source
> IPs or handles authentication.
>
> A simple script which for example pulls http://mon01:8000/status
>
> That yields a JSON with status information and is parsed, they
> usually want to know HEALTH and that's it.

As Ricardo already mentioned, the dashboard API certainly provides this
information, but accessing it requires authentication.

I wonder if this indeed would be a suitable and well-defined scope for a
simple, standalone MGR "status" module, having just two config options
(IP address and TCP port).

Lenz
--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)