Re: Read Only status HTTP API Manager Module

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 7:42 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I came across a few customers who would really like a status module which
> would just present a Read Only API with the status of the cluster.
>
> The current REST API module adds a few hurdles like creating a key and
> authenticating. While that's indeed safer it doesn't make it easy to use.
>
> Many of these users currently parse something like this:
>
> $ ceph status --format=json
>
> Would it be logical to have a very simple manager module which exposes just
> a 'status' API through HTTP?
>
> I tried to extract this data from the dashboard, but that module isn't
> stable either with dashboard v2 coming up.
>
> Or is this something which we should build into the REST API module and make
> a few endpoints not require authentication?
>
> Opinions on this one?

It's an interesting question, with the upcoming dashboard v2 having
its own API.  That API is naturally pretty detailed, to support
everything the GUI can do, so there might be demand for something
simpler as well.

However, I'm a bit surprised at authentication being the motivation
for this -- is it something people find hard in itself, or is the
issue that there are external tools that expect unsecured HTTP
endpoints and have no mechanism to do auth?

John