Re: recovery_deletes flag in OSDMap

On 02/20/2018 03:05 PM, Dan van der Ster wrote:
Hi Wido,

When you finish updating all osds in a cluster to luminous, the last step:

   ceph osd require-osd-release luminous

actually sets the recovery_deletes flag.

All our luminous clusters have this enabled:

   # ceph osd dump | grep recovery
   flags sortbitwise,recovery_deletes

Yes, I noticed.

And that super secret redhat link explains that recovery_deletes
allows deletes to take place during recovery instead of at peering
time, which was previously the case.

Ok! The source told me that as well, but can somebody tell me the exact benefit of this?

Does it improve/smoothen the peering process?

I heard rumors that it makes peering block less, but I'm not sure. I like to hear facts or experiences :)

Wido

-- Dan