bi-directional cloud sync

Now that the sync-to-the-cloud work is almost complete, I was thinking
a bit and did some research about bi-directional sync. The big
difficulty I had with the syncing from the cloud process is the need
to rework the whole data sync paths where we identify changes. These
are quite complicated, and these kind of changes are quite a big
project. I'm not quite sure now that this is needed.
What I think we could do in a relatively easy (and less risky) way is
that instead of embedding a new mechanism within the sync logic, we
can create a module that turns upstream cloud changes into the
existing rgw logs: that is, data log, and bucket index logs (no
metadata log needed). In this way we break the problem into two
separate issues, where one of the issues is already solved. The
ingesting rgw could then do the same work it is doing with regular
zones (fetching these logs, and pulling the data from a remote
endpoint) -- albeit with various slight changes that are required
since we can't have some of the special apis that we created to assist
us.
We'll need to see how these could be replaced and what will be the
trade offs, but we'll need to do that anyway with any solution.
The changes discovery module that will turn remote cloud changes into
local logs could do it by either polling the remote endpoints, or (for
S3 for example) could use buckets notifications mechanism. It will
build its local changes logs by setting new entries on them according
to the changes it identifies. The radosgw zone that will sync from the
cloud will have two endpoints one that will be used to fetch the the
logs, and another one that will be used to sync in the data.
I'm a bit simplifying it, there are a few more issues there, but
that's the gist of it.

Any thoughts?

Yehuda