Re: opentracing

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018, Mohamad Gebai wrote:

made. For debug logs, we currently use plain text logging, which is the
simplest mechanism, but it's not very efficient.

Absolutely.

could move to compact binary format such as CTF [3]. This would make

I've neither seen nor used CTF before, but it certainly looks like it heads in the right direction, if we want to continue using this kind of "traditional" logging.

complexity. However, it could be that instrumenting the code according
to the specification is enough, and let the user take care of plugging
their tracer and infrastructure to it. I'm happy to do more research and
see how this can be used in Ceph.

My thought here is that larger users /will/ be willing to do this. They might even buy something like Splunk for exactly this situation. I wonder if that's the division: smaller Ceph users who might prefer traditional logs, vs. large clusters for whom this is a useful investment?

Interested in hearing about what you learn. :-)

-Jesse