opentracing

I think we need to take a step back and reconsider our approach to
tracing.  Thus far, it has been an ad hoc combination of our
home-brew debug logs and a few lttng tracepoints.  We have some initial
integration of blkin tracepoints as well, but I'm not sure if anyone has
actually used them.

I'm looking at opentracing.io (see e.g.
http://opentracing.io/documentation/) and this looks like a more viable
path forward since it is not tied to specific tracing tools and is being
adopted by CNCF projects.  There's also the new Jaeger tool that is (from
what I gather) a newer dapper/zipkin type tool that will presumably be
usable if we go this path.

I was on a call recently with a partner and they mentioned that their tool
would consume tracepoints via opentracing tracepoints and that one of the
key features was that it would sample instead of pulling an exhaustive
trace.  (From what I gather this is outside of the opentracing library in
the application, though--it's up to the tracer to sample or not to
sample.)

One of the looming features that we'd like to work on now that the mgr is
in place is a 'rados top' or 'rbd top' like function that samples requests
at the OSDs (or clients?) to build an aggregate view of the top consumers
of ops in the cluster.  I'm wondering whether it makes sense to build this
sort of functionality on top of generic tracepoints instead of our own
purpose-built instrumentation.

Is there anyone who is interested in heading this effort/investigation up?

sage