Re: LUKS encryption in OSDs (ceph-volume)

On 12/13/2017 06:36 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> We don't really have a need to resize devices, generally, so that's
> probably not an issue... but I wonder if (1) is going to be an
> easier/smaller change to make this work.  It maps more directly onto the
> threat model (a lost *device*) and probably also avoids some DM layers,
> and so ought to be slightly faster?

DM is based on stacking device model, linear mapping (normal LV in LVM)
cost you almost nothing - it is just offset overwrite inside kernel.
So if you think about layering linear devices, the speed difference should be negligible.

With dm-crypt it is something different - it need to clone bio requests and
then encrypt/decrypt them.

Milan