Re: LUKS encryption in OSDs (ceph-volume)

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2017, Milan Broz wrote:

>> > It's worth mentioning that the "new" way for new ceph-volume OSD
>> > deployments will also be using LVM, and (presumably?) allow layering
>> > dm-crypt on top of an LV--not just a PV or raw device.  So this is more a
>> > question of what, clean slate, we want to do to deploy dm-crypt when the
>> > end result that we're after is an LV to feed to bluestore or filestore.
>> > I'm not sure how/where LUKS fits in in the LVM world...
>>
>> I think LUKS fits in LVM world quite well.
>>
>> Standard Fedora (and most other distors as well) install stacks LVM over LUKS
>> (so you activate only one encrypted device and then the partitioning is up to LVM.
>> Also LVM metadata are then encrypted.)

That is a very important distinction (encrypted LVM metadata) and why
we don't want to go that route: we rely heavily on LVM metadata where
we store the
information about the OSD to be later queried. That metadata must be
available without decryption.

>> You can of course stack LUKS over LV as well, but for example LV resize
>> will be two-step operation (well, fsadm can automate it but it is still two-steps).

Right, this is what we are thinking to do.

#2 here is my preference. Lets not switch key management around. I
don't know how things like dmcache
(which is made up of several physical devices) would work for option #1.

#1 would involve extra work for anything that is not a single device
though right?

On the ceph-volume side of things, there wouldn't be any overhead for
#2 other than implementing the encryption.

If #1 means we encrypt the physical device, then that makes LVM
metadata encyrpted which wouldn't work for ceph-volume.

LVM would be fine with #2 with lost disks too, I don't think that model changes.