Re: config on mons

>>> Using Ceph on any decent scale actually requires one to use at least
>>> Puppet
>>> or similar tool, I wouldn't add any unnecessary complexity to already
>>> complex code just because of novice users that are going to have hard
>>> time
>>> using Ceph anyway once a disk breaks and needs to be replaced, or when
>>> performance goes to hell because users are free to create and remove
>>> snapshots every 5 minutes.

This discussion reminds me of a heated debate we had in the early days
about whether configuration management should handle the provisioning
of OSDs, or whether Ceph should have a tool to hide the ugliness. At
the time, I was staunchly on the configuration management side. We
used this horribleness to create new OSDs:

https://github.com/dreamhost-cookbooks/ceph/blob/de5929eb45bda50785aa01181b281e25af0d1785/recipes/osd.rb

Today we have ceph-disk (and soon to be ceph-volume)! I still have my
reservations about the level of udev wizardry, which is tricky to
debug, but it generally works and makes the experience better the vast
majority of operators, reglardless . This lead to a single method to
prepare OSDs that was configuration management agnostic. Nowadays all
the Ansible/Chef/Puppet thingers use ceph-disk.