Re: config on mons

On 17-11-13 07:40 PM, John Spray wrote:
On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Configuration files are often driven by configuration management, with
previous versions stored in some kind of version control systems. We
should make sure that if configuration moves to the monitors that you
have some form of history and rollback capabilities. It might be worth
modeling it similar to network switch configuration shells, a la
Junos.

* change configuration
* require commit configuration change
* ability to rollback N configuration changes
* ability to diff to configuration versions

That way an admin can figure out when the last configuration change
was, what changed, and rollback if necessary.

That is an extremely good idea.

As a minimal thing, it should be pretty straightforward to implement a
snapshot/rollback.

https://thedailywtf.com/articles/The_Complicator_0x27_s_Gloves

I imagine many users today are not so disciplined as to version
control their configs, but this is a good opportunity to push that as
the norm by building it in.

Using Ceph on any decent scale actually requires one to use at least Puppet or similar tool, I wouldn't add any unnecessary complexity to already complex code just because of novice users that are going to have hard time using Ceph anyway once a disk breaks and needs to be replaced, or when performance goes to hell because users are free to create and remove snapshots every 5 minutes. And I can already imagine clusters breaking down once config database/history breaks for whatever reason, including early implementation bugs.

Distributing configs through mon isn't bad idea by itself, I can imagine having changes to runtime-changeable settings propagated to OSDs without the need for extra step (actually injecting them) and without the need for restart, but for anything else, there are already good tools and I see no value in trying to mimic them.

--
Piotr Dałek
piotr.dalek@xxxxxxxxxxxx