Re: Luminous: osd_crush_location_hook renamed to crush_location_hook

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2017, Wido den Hollander wrote:

>> > The problem I see with this is that it would prevent new OSD additions or
>> > other changes.. and if you went to unset the flag in order to allow a new
>> > node to be adjusted or brought online then you might get an avalance of
>> > blocked changes.
>> >
>> > I think what we actually want is a more targetted variation of
>> > osd_crush_update_on_start that only updates teh location if it has never
>> > been set (i.e., it is a new osd).  Like, osd_crush_update_on_create.  Then
>> > it's left to the admin to move OSDs?

>> > The implications are an oversight.. I didn't think about customized hooks
>> > that would get reverted if the config option wasn't changed.  Otherwise
>> > the item in the release notes would have read more like a warning:
>> >
>> > * The `osd crush location` config option is no longer supported.  Please
>> >   update your ceph.conf to use the `crush location` option instead.
>> >

>> Yes, we probably need a big warning for this in the ReleaseNotes.
>>
>> Are you going to make sure it goes in?
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/18482
>
> I think we also want to make the old config option work too; that isn't
> done yet.  John, I wonder if it is worth adding an 'alias' mechanism
> into the options framework, so that all users of the option don't have to
> check for the old and new?

The thought crossed my mind -- it's a little awkward for someone who
dumps back their config, as they'll see a differently named option
than the one they thought they set.  However, I think it's worth it on
balance: I'm a fan of thing that enable us to sanitize the naming.

The alias field should come with a mandatory version field that says
which version the old alias was from, so that we can systematically
remove them a couple versions later.

John