Re: very slow backfill on Luminous + Bluestore

Resending without HTML, sorry for duplicates.

Similar issue here, describing steps taken, hope it unveals some clues.

Had 33 filestore OSDs, healthy cluster. Did replace 1 OSD with
bluestore according to instruction on ceph site.

During emtying OSD neighbouring OSDs in the same host were hitting
backfillfull margin(90%) so I periodically did reweighting down "ceph
osd reweight" and "ceph osd crush reweight" for those. After while I
noticed that despite backfill hitted backfillfull for a while overall
backfill(emptying) continued and usage % on neighbour OSDs was
floating around backfillfull margin.

When OSD was emtied I reformatted it with bluestore and it started
backfill. Initially recovery traffic was good (~150MB/s). On recovery
start I had 1 OSD in backfill_full state and 2 in backfill_full
warning state(OSDs on same host). Then at some point (bluestore OSD
had ~700GB/5.5TB usage) recovery speed dropped to  ~"20057 kB/s, 4
objects/s" and is hanging there.

Bluestore OSD is sata hdd, currently iostat on it:
Device:         rrqm/s   wrqm/s     r/s     w/s    rkB/s    wkB/s
avgrq-sz avgqu-sz   await r_await w_await  svctm  %util
sdf               0.00     0.00    0.00   70.00     0.00 26692.00
762.63     1.10   14.51    0.00   14.51   5.60  39.20

Let me know if/how I can gather some data that can help with problem
investigation.

There is a feeling that recovery is throttling and it is not HW limit.

Ugis