Re: file in one file system is a directory in ceph

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:15 PM, Patrick Donnelly <pdonnell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Two Spirit <twospirit6905@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I was trying to track down a file that keeps showing up as a directory in ceph.
>>
>> The user literally has a files called ".snap", and it tried to copy
>> into cephfs, and it kept complaining and kept reappearing as a
>> directory. delete the directory and recopy the .snap file. I found out
>> .snap is a special hidden ceph directory. the user is actually on a
>> project called "SNAP".
>>
>> Is there anything that can be done about this? My priority is to the
>> user being able to name their files anything except certain well
>> understood special characters. There is already a little contention
>> between unix and windows filesystems eg ':', but nobody will know that
>> their underlying file system will be changed to ceph or if used for
>> backups systems and that the backup system can't properly copy their
>> file due to the name..nobody is expecting this limitation.
>>
>> I, not know what the .snap was for, force deleted it, not realizing I
>> was removing possible user snapshots.
>>
>> Feels wrong to tell a user they can't name their file .snap.
>
> Change the name using "client_snap_dir" in
> docs.ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/client-config-ref/

I've sometimes wondered if we should have a different default, perhaps
one with ceph in the name like ".ceph_snapshot" or something?

Anyone with a home directory workload is liable to see the ".snap"
issue because you get files with that name in eclipse projects.

John