Re: file in one file system is a directory in ceph

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Two Spirit <twospirit6905@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was trying to track down a file that keeps showing up as a directory in ceph.
>
> The user literally has a files called ".snap", and it tried to copy
> into cephfs, and it kept complaining and kept reappearing as a
> directory. delete the directory and recopy the .snap file. I found out
> .snap is a special hidden ceph directory. the user is actually on a
> project called "SNAP".
>
> Is there anything that can be done about this? My priority is to the
> user being able to name their files anything except certain well
> understood special characters. There is already a little contention
> between unix and windows filesystems eg ':', but nobody will know that
> their underlying file system will be changed to ceph or if used for
> backups systems and that the backup system can't properly copy their
> file due to the name..nobody is expecting this limitation.
>
> I, not know what the .snap was for, force deleted it, not realizing I
> was removing possible user snapshots.
>
> Feels wrong to tell a user they can't name their file .snap.

Change the name using "client_snap_dir" in
docs.ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/client-config-ref/

> Just food for thought. Is this moveable out of band. I've used
> snapshot software before -- even whole drive snapshots, and the
> snapshots for the most part were hidden or explicitly visible from
> mount.

It's not simple to expose advanced non-POSIX file system interfaces
outside the file system without losing convenience/usability.

> In unix, super fast snapshots can be made 'cp -lrp'

That's not a snapshot. It's a terrible copy.

--
Patrick Donnelly