Re: multi-line comments

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 12:49 PM, John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Alfredo Deza <adeza@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Based on the discussion on https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/16705,
>>> there doesn't seem to be much support for removing contractions.
>>>
>>> I sympathise with John W's original intent on that PR to make it
>>> easier to sync up upstream docs with commercial products that might
>>> have an IBM-ish style, but I don't think it makes sense to make the
>>> change without making it a rule, and I think it's not something that's
>>> desirable as a rule.
>>>
>>> I would welcome a style guide for our upstream docs though, so that we
>>> could have a place to refer to for any rules we do want to have.
>>
>> We do have a documentation style guide:
>>
>>     https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/doc/start/documenting-ceph.rst#documentation-style-guide
>>
>> Most of the suggestions/rules there aren't really followed :(
>> Hopefully with the new fixes that went in, that will change and
>> prevent us from going astray again.
>
> I think that's more of a style guide for the documentation .rst source
> code, I was thinking of a style guide for the content itself.

Ceph style guide:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/CodingStyle

However, we don't follow it religiously, most don't know it exists I
think. Comments-wise, there's nothing explicit there, and the google
guide that we derive from is pretty lax. I don't think we should force
a specific comments style, it's annoying.

Yehuda