Re: [ceph-users] autoconfigured haproxy service?

(Trim lots of good related content).

The upcoming HAProxy 1.8 has landed further patches for improving hot
restarts/reloads of HAProxy, which previously lead to a brief gap period
when new connections were not serviced. Lots of other approaches had
been seen, including delaying TCP SYN momentarily [1]. It also notably
fixes how you needed a separate wrapper for using haproxy w/ systemd.

In the DreamHost RGW usage, I've been building additional functionality
into HAProxy via Lua, but I'm not convinced it's the best place for some
of it:
- rate-limiting by access key (with explicitly whitelisted & blacklisted
  keys), over multiple frontends [2]
- Planned: different rates for different operations/customer classes.
- Planned: issue redirects for buckets being moved (because getting
  federated metadata between existing clusters is painful) [3].
  This differs from the CERN backend-selection-by-bucket, because the
  bucket is going to be moving regions!

RGW doesn't seem like the right place for some of this functionality
either, because storing rate data in multiple places means lots of
cross-talk.

[1] https://engineeringblog.yelp.com/2015/04/true-zero-downtime-haproxy-reloads.html
[2] http://blog.armbruster-it.de/2015/08/neo4j-and-haproxy-some-best-practices-and-tricks/
[3] http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/Redirects.html

> > I don't know if the bucket mapping concept is generally applicable.
> > Maybe this haproxy-agent should focus on configuring a single backend
> > populated with the radosgw's, and leave more complex configurations up
> > to their admins?
> Yeah.  (The dynamic remapping is interesting, though!  That could
> potentially be controlled by rgw as well to automatically isolate busy
> buckets or objects.)
Yes, this would fit well to populate a single HAProxy backend w/ the
available RGWs, and then that can be wrapped with whatever frontend
configuration (esp. SSL) that the admin wants.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer