Re: [ceph-users] autoconfigured haproxy service?

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017, Haomai Wang wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 11:11 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Jul 2017, Sage Weil wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Luminous features a new 'service map' that lets rgw's (and rgw nfs
> >> gateways and iscsi gateways and rbd mirror daemons and ...) advertise
> >> themselves to the cluster along with some metadata (like the addresses
> >> they are binding to and the services the provide).
> >>
> >> It should be pretty straightforward to build a service that
> >> auto-configures haproxy based on this information so that you can deploy
> >> an rgw front-end that dynamically reconfigures itself when additional
> >> rgw's are deployed or removed.  haproxy has a facility to adjust its
> >> backend configuration at runtime[1].
> >>
> >> Anybody interested in tackling this?  Setting up the load balancer in
> >> front of rgw is one of the more annoying pieces of getting ceph up and
> >> running in production and until now has been mostly treated as out of
> >> scope.  It would be awesome if there was an autoconfigured service that
> >> did it out of the box (and had all the right haproxy options set).
> >
> > [1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42678269/haproxy-dynamic-configuration
>
> it looks we do more compared to before. do we need to care the
> lifecycle of haproxy?  we need to manage haproxy in ceph command?

I don't think so, although not having done this much I'm not the
expert.

My suggestion would be a new package like radosgw-haproxy-agent that
depends on haproxy and includes a script and some systemd units etc so
that with minimal configuration (i.e., set up ceph.conf auth key or
something) it will wake up periodically and refresh the running haproxy's
config.

We could add a 'ceph-deploy haproxy create ...' command to deploy it,
along with something similar in ceph-ansible...

sage