Re: ceph-mgr setup magic

On 06/29/2017 05:04 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
> There is some goofy behavior with the systemd unit files that tries to
> make a new ceph-mgr daemon automagically appear next to the mons during a
> cluster upgrade:
>
> - The ceph-mon@.service triggers ceph-mgr@ to start
> - The ceph-mgr@.service tries to create a ceph-mgr key using whatever
> mon key it can find
>
> This was intended to ease the upgrade path by auto-creating ceph-mgr
> daemons along the way.

It's also helpful for new installs; it means you don't actually have to
explicitly configure mgr daemons in order to get a running cluster.  You
just end up with as many mgrs as mons automatically.

That said, it is somewhat obscure, and also can make it slightly
irritating if you want to run mgrs on separate nodes (then you have to
explicitly deploy mgr, and also either uninstall the ceph-mgr package
from the mon nodes, or at least `systemctl mask ceph-mgr@$(hostname)` on
those nodes.

> Do we really want this?  I was reminded this behavior is here because of
> #19994, which points out that this isn't implemented for upstart (still
> used by trusty 14.04).
>
> The jewel -> luminous upgrade process is currently documented here
>
> 	http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/release-notes/#upgrade-from-jewel-or-kraken
>
> and basically has a step that says 'verify mgr daemons are running and, if
> not, create some'.  Is that sufficient?

Probably.  Especially given that now ceph-mgr isn't optional (you'll end
up with "HEATH_ERR; no active mgr"), there's incentive for everyone to
configure some mgr daemons ;-)

More seriously: the systemd magic was able to ensure mgr was running
with Kraken, prior to the various deployment tools growing support for
deploying mgr, and (possibly?) prior to mgr appearing in the docs.

That magic still works fine and I personally don't mind keeping it, but
if it's going to result in inconsistent automatic behaviour across
distros, that's probably bad.  Maybe then for Luminous it's best now to
drop the magic and require everyone to explicitly configure mgr, as for
all other daemons?

Regards,

Tim
--