Re: cls_rbd copyup and write

This is definitely an optimization we can test post-Luminous release
once bluestore is the defacto OSD object store. Of course, even
bluestore won't track holes down to 8KiB -- only 16KiB or 64KiB
depending on your backing device and settings. I am pretty sure
Luminous already has an optimization to not copy-up if the full parent
object is zeroed.

I do remember a presentation about surprising results when
implementing NFS v4.2 READ_PLUS sparse support where it actually
degraded performance due to the need to seek the file holes. There
might be a performance trade-off to consider when objects have lots of
holes due to increased metadata plus decreased data locality.

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Ning Yao <zay11022@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> currently I find that when do copy on write for a clone image. librbd
> call the cls copyup function to write the data, reading from its
> parent, to the child.
>
> However, there is a issue here:  if an object in the parent image -->
> [0, 8192] with data and [8192, end] without data, then after COW
> operation, it will filling the whole object [0, end] to the children
> object with [8192, end] all zeros. This phenomenon also occurs in
> flatten images.
>
> Actually, we already have sparse_read to just read data without holes.
> However, copyup function does not support to write serveral fragments
> such as {[0, 8192], [16384,20480]}.
>
> So it that possible to direct send OSDOp {[cow write], [cow write],
> [user write]} instead of  OSDOp {[copyup], [user write]} ?
>

> Regards
> Ning Yao
> --

Jason