Re: Fwd: EXT: [ceph-users] ceph-lvm - a tool to deploy OSDs from LVM volumes

For upstream testing of ceph-volume (if it
existed outside ceph.git) you'd simply install it with pip.

Like, e.g., setuptools? Always use the latest version, and you're fine?

Seriously, this would be OK if the ceph-volume maintainers ensure that every new release is thoroughly regression-tested against all stable versions of Ceph that are in maintenance at the time and agree not to roll out any non-backward-compatible features (?).

I recall that with ceph-deploy we did get into a situation where the latest version did not support hammer, so hammer users could not simply grab the latest version of ceph-deploy. (I guess that has been fixed in the meantime?) Users had to "know" which version played nice with hammer and grab that one specifically. Also, whatever bugs were in that version, they were stuck with because nothing is backported.

I suppose the Ceph project could do the same - just maintain a single codestream ("master") and cut releases from time to time. It would be a lot simpler! And if a distro wanted to backport fixes to a previous release, nothing to stop them, right? But for some reason the Ceph project goes through the trouble to maintain multiple codestreams. And doesn't the Linux kernel project maintains stable branches, too?

Maintaining stable branches is a lot of work, so there must be good reasons for it. One reason I can think of is that it becomes possible to implement non-backward-compatible features in mainline/master, yet folks who value stability (i.e. distros and the vast majority of users) can continue to use the older codestreams and benefit from bugfixes that get backported.

Nathan