Fwd: EXT: [ceph-users] ceph-lvm - a tool to deploy OSDs from LVM volumes

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Alfredo Deza <adeza@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> * faster release cycles
>>> * easier and faster to test
>>
>> I think having one part of Ceph on a different release cycle to the
>> rest of Ceph is an even more dramatic thing than having it in a
>> separate git repository.
>>
>> It seems like there is some dissatisfaction with how the Ceph project
>> as whole is doing things that is driving you to try and do work
>> outside of the repo where the rest of the project lives -- if the
>> release cycles or test infrastructure within Ceph are not adequate for
>> the tool that formats drives for OSDs, what can we do to fix them?
>
> It isn't Ceph the project :)
>
> Not every tool about Ceph has to come from ceph.git, in which case the
> argument could be flipped around: why isn't ceph-installer,
> ceph-ansible, ceph-deploy, radosgw-agent, etc... all coming from
> within ceph.git ?

ceph-installer, ceph-deploy and ceph-ansible are special cases because
they are installers, that operate before a particular version of Ceph
has been selected for installation, and might operate on two
differently versioned clusters at the same time.

radosgw-agent, presumably (I haven't worked on it) is separate because
it sits between two clusters but is logically part of neither, and
those clusters could potentially be different-versioned too.

ceph-disk, on the other hand, rides alongside ceph-osd, writes a
format that ceph-osd needs to understand, the two go together
everywhere.  You use whatever version of ceph-disk corresponds to the
ceph-osd package you have.  You run whatever ceph-osd corresponds to
the version of ceph-disk you just used.  The two things are not
separate, any more than ceph-objectstore-tool would be.

It would be more intuitive if we had called ceph-disk
"ceph-osd-format" or similar.  The utility that prepares drives for
use by the OSD naturally belongs in the same package (or at the very
least the same release!) as the OSD code that reads that on-disk
format.

There is a very clear distinction in my mind between things that
install Ceph (i.e. they operate before the ceph packages are on the
system), and things that prepare the system (a particular Ceph version
is already installed, we're just getting ready to run it).
ceph-objectstore-tool would be another example of something that
operates on the drives, but is intimately coupled to the OSDs and
would not make sense as a separately released thing.

> They don't necessarily need to be tied in. In the case of
> ceph-installer: there is nothing ceph-specific it needs from ceph.git
> to run, why force it in?

Because Ceph is already a huge, complex codebase, and we already have
lots of things to keep track of.  Sometimes breaking things up makes
life easier, sometimes commonality makes live easier -- the trick is
knowing when to do which.

The binaries, the libraries, the APIs, these things benefit from being
broken down into manageable bitesize pieces.  The version control, the
releases, the build management, these things do not (with the
exception of optimizing jenkins by doing fewer builds in some cases).

I don't ever want to have to ask or answer the question "What version
of ceph-disk to I need for ceph x.y.z?", or "Can I run ceph-osd x.y.z
on a drive formatted with ceph-disk a.b.c?".

Being able to give a short, simple answer to "what version of Ceph is
this?" has HUGE value, and that goes out the window when you start
splitting bits off on their own release schedules.

>>> I am not ruling out going into Ceph at some point though, ideally when
>>> things slow down and become stable.
>>
>> I think that the decision about where this code lives needs to be made
>> before it is released -- moving it later is rather awkward.  If you'd
>> rather not have the code in Ceph master until you're happy with it,
>> then a branch would be the natural way to do that.
>>

> The decision was made a few weeks ago, and I really don't think we
> should be in ceph.git, but I am OK to keep
> discussing on the reasoning.
>

>>> Is your argument only to have parity in Ceph's branching? That was
>>> never a problem with out-of-tree tools like ceph-deploy for example.
>>
>> I guess my argument isn't so much an argument as it is an assertion
>> that if you want to go your own way then you need to have a really
>> strong clear reason.
>
> Many! Like I mentioned: easier testing, faster release cycle, can
> publish in any package index, doesn't need anything in ceph.git to
> operate, etc..

Testing: being separate is only easier if you're only doing python
unit testing.  If you're testing that ceph-disk/ceph-volume really
does its job, then you absolutely do want to be in the ceph tree, so
that you can fire up an OSD that checks that ceph-disk really did it's
job.

Faster release cycle: we release pretty often.  We release often
enough to deal with critical OSD and mon bugs.  The tool that formats
OSDs doesn't need to be released more often than the OSD itself.

Package indices: putting any of the Ceph code in pypi is of limited
value, even if we do periodically run into people with a passion for
it.  If someone did a "pip install librados", the very next thing they
would have to do would be to go find some packages of the C librados
bindings, and hope like hell that those packages matched whatever they
just downloaded from pypi, and they probably wouldn't, because what
are the chances that pip is fetching python bindings that match the
Ceph version I have on my system?  I don't want to have to deal with
users who get themselves into that situation.

>> Put a bit bluntly: if CephFS, RBD, RGW, the mon and the OSD can all
>> successfully co-habit in one git repository, what makes the CLI that
>> formats drives so special that it needs its own?
>
> Sure. Again, there is nothing some of our tooling needs from ceph.git
> so I don't see why the need to have then in-tree. I am sure RGW and
> other
> components do need to consume Ceph code in some way? I don't even
> think ceph-disk should be in tree for the same reason. I believe that
> in the very
> beginning it was just so easy to have everything be built from ceph.git

We are, for better or worse, currently in a "one big repo" model (with
the exception of installers and inter-cluster rgw bits).

One could legitimately argue that more modularity is better, and
separate out RBD and RGW into separate projects, because hey, they're
standalone, right?  Or, one can go the other way and argue that more
modularity creates versioning headaches that just don't need to exist.

Both are valid worldviews, but the WORST outcome is to have almost
everything in one repo, and then splinter off individual command line
tools based on ad hoc decisions when someone is doing a particular
feature.

I know how backwards that must sound, when you're looking at the
possibility of having a nice self contained git repo, that contains a
pypi-eligible python module, which has unit tests that run fast in
jenkins on every commit.  I get the appeal!  But for the sake of the
overall simplicity of Ceph, please think again, or if you really want
to convert us to a multi-repo model, then make that case for the
project as a whole rather than doing it individually on a bit-by-bit
basis.

John