Re: Alibaba's work on async transaction

Hi Sage,

It make sense .  what you said in email is pretty much what you said in last meeting. Don’t worry. You are pretty consistent. ☺

Regards,
James

On 6/1/17, 2:42 PM, "Sage Weil" <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Hi James,

    On Fri, 2 Jun 2017, LIU, Fei wrote:
    > Hi Sage,
    >    Here is the slides that I mentioned in morning conference call regarding to async transaction implementation in the backend blustore
    >
    >   https://www.slideshare.net/jupiturliu/async-queuetransaction
    >
    >   We will modify the PR accordingly with your advice last time.

    This is the PR, right?

    	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/15141

    I don't remember exactly what I said before :), but I think the more
    promising path forward is not to introduce a context switch but instead to
    find a way to drop PG::lock once the operation is serialized on the
    sequencer, or to have a second PG lock just for submitting the
    transaction.  E.g.,

      pg->submit_lock.Lock();
      pg->unlock();
      store->submit_transaction(...);
      pg->submit_lock.Unlock();

    This will require a careful look at what is happening inside PG after
    PG::lock is dropped, though.  It probably makes sense to look at this in
    conjuction with something like

    	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/11188

    which never got finished (and has now gone very stale)...

    sage