Re: Alibaba's work on async transaction

Hi James,

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017, LIU, Fei wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>    Here is the slides that I mentioned in morning conference call regarding to async transaction implementation in the backend blustore
>
>   https://www.slideshare.net/jupiturliu/async-queuetransaction
>
>   We will modify the PR accordingly with your advice last time.

This is the PR, right?

	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/15141

I don't remember exactly what I said before :), but I think the more
promising path forward is not to introduce a context switch but instead to
find a way to drop PG::lock once the operation is serialized on the
sequencer, or to have a second PG lock just for submitting the
transaction.  E.g.,

  pg->submit_lock.Lock();
  pg->unlock();
  store->submit_transaction(...);
  pg->submit_lock.Unlock();

This will require a careful look at what is happening inside PG after
PG::lock is dropped, though.  It probably makes sense to look at this in
conjuction with something like

	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/11188

which never got finished (and has now gone very stale)...

sage