Re: subpackages for mgr modules

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Alfredo Deza <adeza@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Ken Dreyer <kdreyer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 4:31 PM, John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> My preferred solution would be mon commands for toggling modules "ceph
>>> mgr module [enable|disable] <module>", and a record in the MgrMap that
>>> says which are enabled.
>>
>> Sure. It's just another command users have to do to get to a preferred state.
>>
>> The classic response on these things has been "ceph setup is hard,
>> let's wrap it in ceph-ansible" (or whatever higher-level tool will do
>> all these tricky steps). Then ceph-ansible becomes more and more
>> complex, and I wonder whether the complexity could be addressed
>> elsewhere by simply scaling down the flexibility.
>
> I can agree here with how these helpful commands tend to add
> complexity on the deployment systems.
>
> Maybe a good compromise would be the allow both? That is: installation
> would enable a module, but that
> could also be disabled (and re-enabled) by the CLI. That way, we
> aren't forcing users to uninstall always and keeps
> other systems like ceph-ansible lean.

Oops, I wrote a reply to Ken but then failed to click send on it... it
was wordy so I'll be briefer now:

We do need a way to define what the default set of enabled modules
should be, so it probably makes sense to do that via a config setting
(perhaps just the existing config setting), and then let installation
tools give their preference via that interface too, killing two birds
with one stone.  I still think none of this should be triggered by
packaging.

If the user has never used the CLI to enable/disable things, then
updates to the config setting would continue to be authoritative.  If
a user has explicitly disabled a module using the CLI, then that would
take precedence over what was in the config setting.

That would mean that if an ansible-like tool wanted to definitely
enabled a module (even if the user had used the CLI to disable it)
then it would need to understand the CLI too.  However, if a user was
configuring everything using ansible, then ansible would never need to
touch the CLI.

John