Re: Smarter blacklisting?

On 04/19/2017 06:16 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017, John Spray wrote:
I was already pondering where the more detailed blacklist info (e.g.
ids of clients) should go, as it's not something that actually needs
to be shared with all the normal OSDMap subscribers (it's only the
entity that does the blacklist removal that needs to see that).  It's
already not ideal imho that we expose the list of all blacklisted
clients to all the other clients -- in general they shouldn't be able
to e.g. learn one another's addresses like this.

We already break the OSDMap encoding into two sections: the first part
that clients care about, and the second part that is only used by OSDs.
(The kernel client doesn't bother to decode the second half.)

I suspect it wouldn't take much to send abbreviated maps (and
incrementals) to clients that don't include that second half at all...

I was talking to Jason and Mike about another use of more generalized
blacklisting at Vault, but I can't remember the details - do you guys?

IIRC it sounded like that use would make sense as a separate map that
osds and clients would subscribe to.

Josh