Re: Smarter blacklisting?

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017, John Spray wrote:
> Currently, when we add an address to the blacklist, we leave it in
> there for a set period of time (24 minutes by default, which I suspect
> might have been meant to be 24 hours), and then expire it.
>
> Clearly there are two problems with that:
>  * We leave things in the list for much longer than necessary most of
> the time, when a blacklisted client/node comes back reasonably soon
> after a restart
>  * We are never 100% guaranteed that a long-halted client won't come
> back after its blacklist entry has expired (e.g. a paused VM with
> dirty pages, wakes up a day later and writes back to OSDs).
>
> These mostly haven't been too much trouble in practice, but we may be
> (optionally) doing a lot more blacklisting on cephfs systems soon[1],
> and cephfs clients are perhaps more likely to be VMs than RBD hosts.
>
> One thought is to have an alternative type of backlist entry that does
> not have an expiration, but instead is automatically removed when we
> see a client authenticate with the same auth id, from the same IP
> address as the blacklist entry, but with a different nonce.
>
> Flushing out any blacklist entries from a host that never came back
> would be an administrative operation, or we could do it automatically
> on a *super* long expiration time (like a month), and in other cases
> like if the auth identity associated with the blacklist entry was
> removed.
>
> Any thoughts?

I like it!  I'm not sure it needs to be a different type of entry,
though... we can just set the expiration to one month, and then have some
other bit of code remove it early based on the heuristic.

I suspect the main logistical issue is who pays attention to the new auth
or mount request from the client.  And where the cleanup heuristic
lives..

sage