Re: Toying with a FreeBSD cluster results in a crash

On 10-4-2017 10:12, kefu chai wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> filestore stores subdir states using xattr, could you check the xattr
>>> of your meta collection using something like:
>>>
>>>  lsextattr user /var/lib/ceph/osd/osd.7/current/meta
>>>
>>> if nothing shows up, did you enable the xattr on the mounted fs in
>>> which /var/lib/ceph/osd/osd.7/current/meta is located?
>>
>> This is on ZFS, and there attributes are on per default.
>>
>> I checked other parts of the OSD files and several other did have
>> attributes. But everything in this directory had nothing set.
>
> that sounds weird. looks like a bug. can you reproduce it?

It is a long standing (> 3 months) test cluster that has been severely
abused by me learning Ceph things and testing ceph-fuse.

>> Now the trick question is if it can recover from a crash like this:
>>
>> If it depends on infomation in its local tree, things might be too
>> corrupt to restart it...
>
> yes, the osdmap is stored in the meta collection, which in turn misses
> the subdir states stored in the xattr.
>
>> But if it needs to be fetched from the rest of the cluster, I had a
>> different type of problem?
>
> maybe you can rebuild that osd? the meta collection is different from
> one osd to another, i am not sure if we can copy it over from anther
> osd.

Well trouble started when I wanted to grow from 1 replica to 3 replica.
(So what is lost on osd.7 is not available elsewhere.)

This I did to see how that this growing behaves, and then this osd.7
crashed. From what I could find in the logfiles it complained about the
missing maps or attributes.

I guess I'll just scrap the cluster, and start fresh, because this could
very well be a FreeBSD-ish problem in combination with me doing silly
things. And I do not have to keep the cluster around, because it has
grown to a size that eats all my diskspace on the test hardware.

--WjW