Re: bluestore SMR update?

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017, Martin Millnert wrote:
> Sage,
>
> are there any further changes since the last update on November 9?

Nope!

There is some new work in ext4 for SMR that showns that pretty modest
changes can make things perform pretty reasonably on a drive-managed SMR
disk.  There's an upcoming paper about it in FAST (see
https://www.usenix.org/conference/fast17/technical-sessions 'Evolving ext4
for shingled disks') and the patches are pending for ext4 upstream.

To me this suggests that bluestore will probably reasonbly well as is on
drive-managed SMR disks for RGW workloads (which write larger objects in
their entirely).  Different drives have different approaches to managing
the 'scratch space', though; with a bit of testing we can probably
recommend which ones will work best (my guess is those that demonstrate
fixed overhead instead allowing a large amount of deferred work to
accumulate).

Longer term, I think it may still be best to have bluestore manage it's
overwrites more carefully, but depending on how well the drive-managed
ones work it may not be worth the investment.

sage