Re: Standalone libcrush: call for participation

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Loic Dachary <loic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> On 01/23/2017 05:29 PM, Adam C. Emerson wrote:
>> On 21/01/2017, Loic Dachary wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> The beginning of the next ceph release cycle seems like a good time
>>> to initiate that effort. If someone is willing to help with the
>>> bootstrap, now is a good time. The library will be hosted under the
>>> libcrush.org domain name. But that's about the only thing that
>>> happened so far :-)
>>
>> Would the Ceph git repository continue to have its own version of
>> CRUSH included, or would we pull in libcrush as a submodule?
>
> If all goes well and libcrush becomes actively and reliably maintained outside of the Ceph tree, it could either be a submodule or even a packaged dependency. Before that happens things can stay the way they are. I volunteer to manually monitor and cherry-pick whatever changes in the Ceph tree onto the standalone repository ( http://libcrush.org/main/libcrush/ ) so that it does not drift away.
>
>> Also, does this affect the relationship between userspace CRUSH and
>> Linux kernel CRUSH?
>
> I don't know :-) Unless I'm mistaken the code in the linux kernel is an unmodified copy of the code from src/crush/*.[ch].

Correct.  libcrush won't impact the kernel in any way, as long as the
C core <-> C++ wrappers boundary stays intact, which it should ;)

Some documentation will probably need to be added to cover things like
basic kernel compatibility (no floating point, stubs for asserts, etc)
and coding style for the C bits.  The core algorithm is far from where
libcrush initial activities would be centered though, I imagine.

> I however have no clue how it is tested to work as it should in both contexts. Other than running integration tests with teuthology.
>
> How do you suggest we go about it ?

I don't think we need anything special here.

Thanks,

                Ilya