Re: Feeding pool utilization data to time series for trending

> Op 20 december 2016 om 5:19 schreef Shubhendu Tripathi <shtripat@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> Hi Team,
>
> Our team is currently working on project named "tendrl" [1][2].
> Tendrl is a management platform for software defined storage system like
> Ceph, Gluster etc.
>
> As part of tendrl we are integrating with collectd to collect
> performance data and we maintain the time series data in graphite.
>
> I have a question at this juncture regarding pool utilization data.
> As our thought process goes, we think of using output from command "ceph
> df" and parse it to figure out pool utilization data and push it to
> graphite using collectd.
> The question here is what is/would be performance impact of running
> "ceph df" command on ceph nodes. We should be running this command only
> on mon nodes I feel.

Correct, that data comes from the MONs and is not that heavy.

> Wanted to verify with the team here if this thought process is in right
> direction and if so what ideally should be frequency of running the
> command "ceph df" from collectd.

Running the command means forking a process every time and also going through the whole cephx authentication and client <> MON process.

> This is just from our point of view and we are open to any other
> foolproof solution (if any).

The best would be to keep a open connection to a MON and run the 'df' command directly on the MONs in a loop.

I wrote something like that in Python a while ago for 'ceph status': https://gist.github.com/wido/ac53ae01d661dd57f4a8

cmd = {"prefix":"status", "format":"json"}

If you change that to:

cmd = {"prefix":"df", "format":"json"}

You ask the MON for 'df' and get back a JSON. Run that in a loop where you sleep every 1 or 5 seconds and you should have very real-time information.

Wido