Feeding pool utilization data to time series for trending

Hi Team,

Our team is currently working on project named "tendrl" [1][2].
Tendrl is a management platform for software defined storage system like Ceph, Gluster etc.

As part of tendrl we are integrating with collectd to collect performance data and we maintain the time series data in graphite.

I have a question at this juncture regarding pool utilization data.
As our thought process goes, we think of using output from command "ceph df" and parse it to figure out pool utilization data and push it to graphite using collectd. The question here is what is/would be performance impact of running "ceph df" command on ceph nodes. We should be running this command only on mon nodes I feel.

Wanted to verify with the team here if this thought process is in right direction and if so what ideally should be frequency of running the command "ceph df" from collectd.

This is just from our point of view and we are open to any other foolproof solution (if any).

Kindly guide us.

Regards,
Shubhendu Tripathi

[1] http://tendrl.org/