Re: Ceph connections with TLS

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016, Amon Ott wrote:
> Hello Ceph,
>
> for a customer we are currently designing a ceph cluster, which shall be
> spread over two data centers. Data in the Ceph cluster is slightly
> confidential, so we would like to encrypt at least all Ceph traffic over
> the fast data center connection link.
>
> AFAICS, Ceph does not support data encryption at connection level yet,
> so we would have to setup VPN links between the two cluster networks.
> This means extra configuration, maintenance and overhead.
>
> How far away is TLS support or something similar for the Ceph
> connections? AFAIK, TLS support should not be hard to implement, but I
> am not too familiar with Ceph internals.

I hope to work on the msgr2 protocol change (which will enable encryption
on the wire) during the next cycle, but I definitely can't promise it'll
happen by luminous.  In the meantime, you'll need to this in the network
layer.

Also, note that a stretch cluster will (1) increase latency and that (2)
two is a bad number of datacenters because you won't be able to establish
a quorum if the one with the majority of mons goes down.  You'll probably
want to put one or more mons in a third data center to act as an arbiter.
But in general these stretch clusters are tricky get set up in a way that
doesn't break in a failure situation so proceed with extreme caution!

sage