Re: Ceph connections with TLS

> Op 16 december 2016 om 11:15 schreef Amon Ott <a.ott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> Hello Ceph,
>
> for a customer we are currently designing a ceph cluster, which shall be
> spread over two data centers. Data in the Ceph cluster is slightly
> confidential, so we would like to encrypt at least all Ceph traffic over
> the fast data center connection link.

Fast as in low latency? Writes in Ceph are synchronous, so keep in mind that any increase in latency will decrease the write performance/latency on your Ceph cluster.

> AFAICS, Ceph does not support data encryption at connection level yet,
> so we would have to setup VPN links between the two cluster networks.
> This means extra configuration, maintenance and overhead.
>
> How far away is TLS support or something similar for the Ceph
> connections? AFAIK, TLS support should not be hard to implement, but I
> am not too familiar with Ceph internals.

Afaik there is no work currently in progress.

You might implement IPSec on the nodes itself. You might call that a VPN obviously, but IPSec can also just encrypt packets between nodes.

Wido