Re: Automate PGs calculation in Ceph?

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Sebastien Han <shan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks John that makes sense, since we miss user's overall intent
> there is no point of doing this within the mons :).
> It would be nice to have something a bit more dynamic though, where we
> can decrease PGs based on the topology and the current number of
> pools... Of course this will trigger movements but this is not an
> issue for Ceph :).

Yeah, being able to decrease pg_num (i.e. do pg joins on the OSDs)
would solve a lot of usability problems: currently we have no choice
but to educate users about PGs on day 1 in order for them to decide
how many they want in a pool.  If we could auto-guess, and then
decrease later if we get it wrong, then most users would not need to
know what a PG is to do normal operations.

I would envision any auto-decrease in pg_num working in concert with a
guided pool creation process; as well as recommending how many pgs new
pools should have, we would recommend any decrease in existing pools,
and provide information about the expected cost of the associated data
movement.

John