Re: Automate PGs calculation in Ceph?

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Sebastien Han <shan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I was wondering, since we have PG calc online to decide the right
> value for our PGs per pool. The logic seems to be easy and well
> understood. Looks like a simple calculation, I don't see anything like
> depending on a use case we are changing the value or anything.
>
> Any reason why this logic is not part of Ceph?
> Mons know about everything on the cluster and since they manage pool
> creations they should be able to take the right decision.
>
> Am I missing something?

I think the reason nobody has done this so far is that there's no
overall (multiple pools at a time) setup interface in Ceph.  To do the
pg calc stuff, you need a user to tell you not just that they want a
pool, but how many pools they want and what they will use them for:
something friendlier than the current "osd pool create" command can
handle.

Having mons do any kind of guessing on a "pool at a time" basis
without visibility of the user's overall intent is pretty dangerous,
because users can never fix a bad automatic choice (can't decrease
pg_num).

John