Re: status of spdk

Hi Yehuda and Haomai,
   The issue of drives driven by SPDK is not able to be shared by multiple OSDs as kernel NVMe drive since SPDK as a process so far can not be shared across multiple processes like OSDs, right?

   Regards,
   James

On 11/8/16, 4:06 PM, "Yehuda Sadeh-Weinraub" <ceph-devel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of yehuda@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Nov 2016, Yehuda Sadeh-Weinraub wrote:
    >> I just started looking at spdk, and have a few comments and questions.
    >>
    >> First, it's not clear to me how we should handle build. At the moment
    >> the spdk code resides as a submodule in the ceph tree, but it depends
    >> on dpdk, which currently needs to be downloaded separately. We can add
    >> it as a submodule (upstream is here: git://dpdk.org/dpdk). That been
    >> said, getting it to build was a bit tricky and I think it might be
    >> broken with cmake. In order to get it working I resorted to building a
    >> system library and use that.
    >
    > Note that this PR is about to merge
    >
    >         https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/10748
    >
    > which adds the DPDK submodule, so hopefully this issue will go away when
    > that merged or with a follow-on cleanup.
    >
    >> The way to currently configure an osd to use bluestore with spdk is by
    >> creating a symbolic link that replaces the bluestore 'block' device to
    >> point to a file that has a name that is prefixed with 'spdk:'.
    >> Originally I assumed that the suffix would be the nvme device id, but
    >> it seems that it's not really needed, however, the file itself needs
    >> to contain the device id (see
    >> https://github.com/yehudasa/ceph/tree/wip-yehuda-spdk for a couple of
    >> minor fixes).
    >
    > Open a PR for those?

    Sure

    >> As I understand it, in order to support multiple osds on the same NVMe
    >> device we have a few options. We can leverage NVMe namespaces, but
    >> that's not supported on all devices. We can configure bluestore to
    >> only use part of the device (device sharding? not sure if it supports
    >> it). I think it's best if we could keep bluestore out of the loop
    >> there and have the NVMe driver abstract multiple partitions of the
    >> NVMe device. The idea is to be able to define multiple partitions on
    >> the device (e.g., each partition will be defined by the offset, size,
    >> and namespace), and have the osd set to use a specific partition.
    >> We'll probably need a special tool to manage it, and potentially keep
    >> the partition table information on the device itself. The tool could
    >> also manage the creation of the block link. We should probably rethink
    >> how the link is structure and what it points at.
    >
    > I agree that bluestore shouldn't get involved.
    >
    > Is the NVMe namespaces meant to support multiple processes sharing the
    > same hardware device?

    More of a partitioning solution, but yes (as far as I undestand).

    > Also, if you do that, is it possible to give one of the namespaces to the
    > kernel?  That might solve the bootstrapping problem we currently have

    Theoretically, but not right now (or ever?). See here:

    https://lists.01.org/pipermail/spdk/2016-July/000073.html

    > where we have nowhere to put the $osd_data filesystem with the device
    > metadata.  (This is admittedly not necessarily a blocking issue.  Putting
    > those dirs on / wouldn't be the end of the world; it just means cards
    > can't be easily moved between boxes.)

    Maybe we can use bluestore for these too ;) that been said, there
    might be some kind of a loopback solution that could work, but not
    sure if it won't create major bottlenecks that we'd want to avoid.

    Yehuda