Re: bluestore, and how to handle buggy kernels

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 8:59 AM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Under load BlueStore triggers this bug
>
>         http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1993181
>
> in 3.13.0-100-generic, the original trusty 14.04 kernel.  We currently do
> most of the Ceph testing on trusty, xenial, and centos 7.x, and we use the
> default/original distro kernels (vs the latest ones) exactly so that we
> notice when kernel bugs like this rear their heads.
>
> (We had an embarassing problem with firefly where a bug in the old precise
> 12.04 kernel affected users but we were testing with the latest ubuntu
> kernel.)

In this case with Precise, was the problem that we were testing
Ubuntu's HWE kernels [1], so we missed that the bug existed in their
GA kernel (kernel 3.2)?

Excluding Ubuntu's HWE situation, I think we'd always want to test
against "the newest", right? Users should be running whatever is the
newest, for security's sake.

- Ken

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack#Kernel.2FSupport.A12.04.x_Ubuntu_Kernel_Support