Re: libcephfs API changes for credential rework

On Tue, 2016-09-27 at 15:13 +0000, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2016, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > (tl;dr: we need to make some changes to the libcephfs API to allow
> >  proper credential handling. What's the right approach to take?)
> >
> > Greg Farnum has posted a pull request to rework how credentials are
> > handled in cephfs:
> >
> >     https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/11218
> >
> > ...the patch pile is rather large, but the upshot is basically to
> > change the code not to carve out '-1' in the uid and gid ranges, and to
> > allow callers to pass down lists of supplementary groups. This is
> > mainly needed for nfs-ganesha, but it also allows ceph-fuse to delegate
> > permissions checks to the MDS.
> >
> > That PR adds most of the low-level plumbing that's needed, but we still
> > need to expose this capability to applications via libcephfs. Many
> > libcephfs calls either take "int uid, int gid" or don't allow the
> > caller to send down creds at all.
> >
> > I think what we'll want to do is allow applications to create a new
> > credential object and pass that down to the library in some fashion.
> > The question is: what's the best way to handle those API changes?
> >
> > We have several options here:
> >
> > 1) make a clean break with the old API: just change the arguments to
> > the existing functions, bump the library's major version and set the
> > "age" field in it to 0. If you built against old headers, it'll fail to
> > load the library at runtime. This is clearly the simplest option, but
> > requires everyone to rebuild applications that were built against the
> > old headers.
>
> I think this is the way to go.  We'd bump the SONAME (libcephfs2!).  The
> packaging infrastructure is such that you can have the old version of the
> package (libcephfs1) installed at the same time as libcephfs2 (and
> -devel), so stuff that's linked to the old API can still work and
> coexist with stuff linked to the new one.  The only restriction (on debian
> at least; I assume in rpm-land it is the same) is that you can only have
> one version of the -dev package (headers) installed at a time, so you can
> only compile new code against one version at a time.

Ok, so basically we just rely on the linker picking the right lib at
build time. That would work too.

That said, the RPMs are currently named libcephfs1 and
libcephfs1-devel. I guess then we'd end up with a libcephfs2-devel. I
think we could add a "conflicts" directive in the specfile for it to
make sure we have a conflict with libcephfs1-devel.

I can live with that approach if that's the consensus. It sucks for
anyone who happens to have apps built against the old version, but
that's life...

> IIRC with the SONAME stuff you can specify the oldest compatible
> version.  We can take the lazy route and skip #2 below and make that 2 as
> well, which would mean installing libcephfs1 and libcephfs2 concurrently
> for compatibility.

You can do this. In libtool versioning parlance what you do is bump
"current" and "age", and set revision to 0:

https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html

That was what I was figuring we'd do if we took option #2 below. If we
go with option #1 though, then we just bump "current" and set the other
two fields to 0.

> It seems like the key downside here is that any project building against
> libcephfs that isn't updated will not be able to use newer versions of the
> client until they move to the new API...

Exactly.

AIUI though, there aren't really many apps in the field that use
libcephfs. The only two major ones I know of that aren't part of ceph
itself are nfs-ganesha and samba. I intend to fix both of them to use
the new API when it's available.

Are there other consumers of this library that I should be aware of?