Re: reStructuredText vs. AsciiDoc

On 09/22/2016 12:38 AM, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 7:25 AM, John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Currently the Ceph upstream documentation is mostly written in
>> restructuredtext, and built into HTML with Sphinx.
>>
>> We at Red Hat have some writer colleagues who are more comfortable
>> with asciidoc, and it has been suggested that we could get more new
>> content upstream (i.e. on github for everyone) if we were using
>> asciidoc.
>
> The barrier to contribute from asciidoc to rst is not huge, it is
> mainly inconvenient. I think there is much more to gain
> from current contributors to raise the bar to improve the current state of docs.
>

>> So does anyone have any strong attachment to the restructuredtext
>> format currently in use?
>
> I really like RestructuredText, but an important question here is:
> *if* we decided to move, are we aware of the burden that means
> to generate: html, man pages, and the porting of the extensions
> (doxygen, ditaa, and maybe something else I might be missing)

Another solution I can think of is to enhance pandoc (or some other
converter) to be able to convert between RST and AsciiDoc reliably,
without the need to manually edit the files afterwards.

I recently found out that one of my colleagues (Petr Kovar, cc'ed) is
dealing with the same problem. He contributes to the OpenStack upstream
docs. Maybe we can join forces.

Bara

>> (Opinions especially valued from people/groups who are active
>> contributors to the docs)
>>
>> John
>> --

Bara Ancincova