Re: [Tendrl-devel] Former Console 2.0 QE upstream CI strategy

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Martin Kudlej <mkudlej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all Tendrl fans,
>
> I would like to present our view of CI and how we would like to build our CI
> infrastructure.
> Workflow schema:
>
> 1) there are some git repositories
> 2) all unit tests run
> 3) there are packages
> 4) all package sanity tests run
> 5) all machines for integration testing are ready
> 6) packages are installed on proper machines
> 7) all integration tests run
>
> You can replace "packages" to any other distribution package like QCow2
> image or container.
>
> There are some git repositories where source code of all Tendrl components
> is stored. If trigger is fired all unit tests will run. Trigger can be for
> example daily cron, patch is merged to master, during package building or
> any other event. It's easy to change this in CI tool. If all unit tests pass
> packages are built. Once packages are successfully built they are checked by
> package sanity tests. If packages are OK then required machines for
> integration testing are deployed and packages are installed on them. If
> installation is successful all integration tests run.
>
> There are some tasks in Jira for making this workflow happened. We need to
> move our integration tests to upstream so everybody is able to do 7) and 4).
> It will be great if anybody can see what we are testing.
>
> There are tasks which depends on environment(5 and 6). Because we have no
> resources to maintain publicly available environment, deployment scripts
> will be private for now.

This point would be a good reason to consider using the existing Ceph
test framework (teuthology) -- we have a public environment.  You
could for example have a private teuthology environment if you wanted,
but when folks wanted to run their tests in a public upstream
environment they could either ask for resources in the "sepia" Ceph
environment, or they could use teuthology's openstack mode to run on
an openstack cloud.

John