Re: Odd WAL traffic for BlueStore

Will prepare shortly. Any suggestions on desired levels and components?

On 22.08.2016 18:08, Sage Weil wrote:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2016, Igor Fedotov wrote:
Hi All,

While testing BlueStore as a standalone storage via FIO plugin I'm observing
huge traffic to a WAL device.

Bluestore is configured to use 2 450 Gb Intel's SSD: INTEL SSDSC2BX480G4L

The first SSD is split into 2 partitions (200 & 250 Gb) for Block DB and Block
WAL.

The second is split similarly and first 200Gb partition allocated for Raw
Block data.

RocksDB settings are set as Somnath suggested in his 'RocksDB tuning' . No
much difference comparing to default settings though...

As a result when doing 4k sequential write (8Gb total) to a fresh storage I'm
observing (using nmon and other disk mon tools) significant write traffic to
WAL device. And it grows eventually from ~10Mbs to ~170Mbs. Raw Block device
traffic is pretty stable at ~30 Mbs.

Additionally I inserted an output for BlueFS perf counters on
umount(l_bluefs_bytes_written_wal & l_bluefs_bytes_written_sst).

The resulting values are very frustrating: ~28Gb and 4Gb for
l_bluefs_bytes_written_wal & l_bluefs_bytes_written_sst respectively.
Yeah, this doesn't seem right.  Have you generated a log to see what is
actually happening on each write?  I don't have any bright ideas about
what is going wrong here.

sage

Doing 64K changes the picture dramatically:

WAL traffic is stable at 10-12 Mbs and RAW Block one is at ~400Mbs
BlueFS counters are ~140Mb and 1K respectively.

Surely write completes much faster in the second case.

No WAL is reported in logs at BlueStore level for both cases.

High BlueFS WAL traffic is observed when running subsequent random 4K RW over
the store propagated this way too.

I'm wondering why WAL device is involved in the process at all ( writes happen
in min_alloc_size blocks) operate and why the traffic and written data volume
is so high?

Don't we have some fault affecting 4K performance here?

Here are my settings and FIO job specification:

###########################

[global]
         debug bluestore = 0/0
         debug bluefs = 1/0
         debug bdev = 0/0
         debug rocksdb = 0/0

         # spread objects over 8 collections
         osd pool default pg num = 32
         log to stderr = false

[osd]
         osd objectstore = bluestore
         bluestore_block_create = true
         bluestore_block_db_create = true
         bluestore_block_wal_create = true
         bluestore_min_alloc_size = 4096
         #bluestore_max_alloc_size = #or 4096
         bluestore_fsck_on_mount = false

         bluestore_block_path=/dev/sdi1
         bluestore_block_db_path=/dev/sde1
         bluestore_block_wal_path=/dev/sde2

         enable experimental unrecoverable data corrupting features = bluestore
rocksdb memdb

         bluestore_rocksdb_options =
"max_write_buffer_number=16,min_write_buffer_number_to_merge=2,recycle_log_file_num=16,compaction_threads=32,flusher_threads=8,max_background_compactions=32,max_background_flushes=8,max_bytes_for_level_base=5368709120,write_buffer_size=83886080,level0_file_num_compaction_trigger=4,level0_slowdown_writes_trigger=400,level0_stop_writes_trigger=800"

         rocksdb_cache_size = 4294967296
         bluestore_csum = false
         bluestore_csum_type = none
         bluestore_bluefs_buffered_io = false
         bluestore_max_ops = 30000
         bluestore_max_bytes = 629145600
         bluestore_buffer_cache_size = 104857600
         bluestore_block_wal_size = 0

         # use directory= option from fio job file
         osd data = ${fio_dir}

         # log inside fio_dir
         log file = ${fio_dir}/log
####################################

#FIO jobs
#################
# Runs a 4k random write test against the ceph BlueStore.
[global]
ioengine=/usr/local/lib/libfio_ceph_objectstore.so # must be found in your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH

conf=ceph-bluestore-somnath.conf # must point to a valid ceph configuration
file
directory=./fio-bluestore # directory for osd_data

rw=write
iodepth=16
size=256m

[bluestore]