Re: linux 4.7.0 rbd client kernel panic when OSD process was killed by OOM

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 10:35 PM, Victor Payno <vpayno@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ilya:
>
> I think it is the same error, I was confusing it with the 4.4 kernel error.

The kernel client shouldn't crash no matter what - I'll look into it
later this or next week.

> Do you have documentation on settings we can use to limit the memory
> growth of OSD processes?
>
> So far all I have is changing these from
>
> osd_min_pg_log_entries = 3000
> osd_max_pg_log_entries = 10000

> osd_min_pg_log_entries = 300
> osd_max_pg_log_entries = 1000
>
> and now I'm trying  these settings
>
> osd_min_pg_log_entries = 150
> osd_max_pg_log_entries = 500
>

> The hosts have 12 OSDs (8TB HDDs with SSDs for journals) and 32 GB of
> RAM. We're having a hard time with getting more memory because Ceph
> documentation says 2GB per OSD (24 GB).

> The bigger problem I have is that once an OSD OOMs, I can't recover
> it, I have to destroy it and create it again. Unfortunately that
> starts a domino effect and other nodes start loosing 1 OSD to OOM.
> Eventually I end up destroying the cluster and starting over again.
>

> This cluster had 2 pools, the second pool had a single 100TB RBD with
> 3.6 TB of data (was currently mapped and mounted but idle).

How many PGs in each pool?

Was there a recovery underway?  I know from experience that during
recovery it can blow past the 2G mark, especially if more than a few
OSDs on the host are being rebalanced at the same time.

Do you have an idea on what leads to the OOM kill?  A test workload you
are running, general state of the cluster, etc.

To get out of  it, I'd add a big swapfile, set the flags to pause any
background operations (backfill, scrub, etc) and prevent OSD flapping
and just babysit it, monitoring memory usage.  You might want to search
ceph-users archive for more tricks.

Thanks,

                Ilya