Re: scoping daemon-helper replacement effort

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Josh Durgin <jdurgin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/29/2016 09:40 AM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
>>
>> daemon-helper predates a lot of things in Ceph, and the further we go
>> into systemd-land with things like unprivilged daemons, SELinux, and
>> cgroups, the further Teuthology diverges from what our users do. To
>> remedy this, I want to retire daemon-helper and have Teuthology tests
>> use the normal init system, particularly now that our main supported
>> distros are unified around systemd.
>>
>>  From what I understand, we use daemon-helper in Teuthology to:
>>
>>    1) start a daemon and eventually stop it with either SIGTERM or
>> SIGKILL, depending on whether the Teuthology task has enabled the
>> coverage or valgrind options,
>>
>>    2) send data via STDIN
>>
>>    3) print some messages when the child crashes
>>
>> I think we could run the services using the systemd unit files and
>> still accomplish #1 and #3.
>>
>> For #2 (communicating to the daemons via STDIN), how could we
>> accomplish this? What sort of things are we writing to the daemons'
>> STDIN? I'm having trouble finding examples in ceph-qa-suite.git.
>

> We're not using it to write data to the daemons, but as a way to kill them
> automatically if our ssh connection dies.
>
> With fast reimaging in the works, this will be irrelevant. Even now,
> it's not really useful for the usual scheduled jobs where the nodes are
> rebooted on failure. So I wouldn't worry about (2).

I think we also use this to kill processes by closing stdin on the
teuthology process side. Some quick grepping suggests we have ~21 call
sites and they're largely not in the tracker; I don't imagine they'll
be too hard to replace but it might be a little awkward in some
places.
-Greg